Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Slow news day

I have a friend who was in English major in college. He tells the anecdote of the first day of a writing class he took. "How many of you want to be writers?", asked the professor. Most of the students in the class raised their hands. "How many of you write every day?" Nobody in the class raised a hand. "Well, good luck with that," he said.

Which comes back to the first rule of blogging: write every day. Even though I've managed to do a fairly decent job of that so far, it's getting to be a challenge. While I'm reasonable politically active, I don't have the time that Sebastian and Bitter have to devote to this. And I'm certainly not as eloquent as Marko. (Being that he's a writer and I'm a computer guy, I could be considered to have a bit of a handicap.)

I was also brought up Southern Baptist. I had modesty beaten into me as a child. (Figuratively speaking, that is.) I've internalized that well enough that I find it difficult speaking up, even in those instances where I need to do so. Even though a blog affords me anonymity (pseudonymity?), it's still a form of publishing, so there's a slight chance someone will read this, so modesty tends to act as an inhibitor on writing.

But, then, sitting on a stopped train waiting to see if I'll get home at a reasonable hour certainly does afford me the time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment