Monday, September 28, 2009

Iron sights vs. scopes

This afternoon, I had the opportunity to do some shooting (because I was already taking the day off for other reasons.) I decided to take my other 10/22 out. This is the one I put a scope on. I'd had it out to sight in the scope, but I hadn't had it out since installing a Power Custom hammer/sear combination. Also, since one of the reasons in building a scoped 10/22 was to see how it compares to iron sights (Tech Sights, specifically), and since I've mostly been shooting the iron-sighted one, I wanted to see how I'd do with a scope.

My shooting was pretty bad. I'm sure this is mostly because I've been focusing on the iron sights, but I just couldn't seem to get good shots with the scope. Shooting benchrest, sure, I was doing fine. Standing, though, it seemed like I was far less steady with the scope than with iron sights. This may have been purely psychological, though, because I could see the target much better, and that may have changed my expectations on how well I should have been able to shoot. And, of course, it was hardly a scientific comparison. I wasn't shooting at the same time of day, this was the first time shooting standing with this rifle, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Patrick, if this is a variable power scope, set it to it's lowest power. What's probably happening is that you are now seeing very clearly how your point of aim is wavering... and when your crosshairs are lined up on the center of the target, you're yanking that trigger as fast as you can so you can hit the center of the target. Solution is to lower your magnification (if you can) or just practicing squeezing the trigger slooowly.

    Or get to an Appleseed Shoot and learn the 6 steps to firing a shot. wwww.appleseedinfo.org will have the schedule.

    BTW... I'm posting this from NJ right now, as I'm down in S. Amboy visiting my brother. We just went shooting today at Bayview Rod & Gun Club.

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, it's actually a fixed-power 4x scope. But you're right, I'm more acutely aware of the wavering point of aim. There's not any more of it, it's jusp more apparent.

    I definitely want to get to an Appleseed Shoot sometime, though. If only for the fun of a couple of days' worth of shooting.

    ReplyDelete