Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kids and guns

When do I introduce my currently-5-year-old son to shooting? Were I still living in Tennessee, I'd probably already have done so. As it is, I live in a fairly liberal part of New Jersey, so I'm a bit hesitant to do so. My hesitation stems mostly from the fact that I know he's going to talk about it at school (kindergarten.) For one, I don't really want to deal with the whole "gun nigger" thing, but I'm also a very private person. Nobody needs to know what I do with my time unless I care to tell them.

Add to this that my wife has opinions about it. She's actually very supportive of having guns and is a pretty good shot herself. But she's also a little over-protective of the kids, and guns don't play well into that. (Although I'd argue that learning how to handle dangerous things safely is an important aspect of safety.)

I haven't actually had the conversation with my wife recently, or at least not since I've been thinking of doing it sooner than later. I need to have that conversation soon. Especially since my son's been getting very curious about what's in the long black cases I put in the car and disappear with occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment