Wednesday, September 9, 2009

NRA Light Rifle

My local club is shooting NRA light rifle matches starting in a few weeks. Outside a number of IPSC matches in the mid-90's, I've never participated in any real competition, so this will be my first.

I'm actually interested in shooting high-power rifle (or at least I think I am), but, inspired by Sebastian's comments on subcaliber training, I've been shooting a lot of .22 recently. It's just a stock 10/22 with the only modifications being the Tech Sights aperture sights and a replacement hammer to give it a reasonable trigger pull. (Okay, and the magazine release -- the original is just ridiculous.) I've been using the NRA 50-foot smallbore rifle target, those ten small black circles. I'm a pretty good "natural" shot, so I'm in the black more often than not, but I have quite a bit of work to do to achieve consistency. I'm getting pretty good at calling my shots, too. Which is all the more depressing, of course, when I call the all-too-frequent flyers before checking them out in the scope.

In any case, the shooting itself has been fun and rewarding, especially when I get 5 of 5 shots in the black, which is happening more frequently.

Monday morning when I went to shoot, there were some A-32 targets on the shelf, the target used for light rifle. After my regular shooting, I gave it a try and shot an 82/100. Not too bad, given that I'd never (seriously) shot a rifle standing prior to a couple of months ago. (I'd always preferred hand guns.) And that puts me at "expert" rating, according to this. Assuming, of course, that I can maintain that level of consistency long enough to progress through the lower ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment