Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Independence

A few years ago, I was looking through some of my in-laws' family photos. One picture from the mid '70's included another family. I asked who they were, and got this story from my father-in-law.

At the time, they had some friends, a couple who were both social workers. They were definitely of a more liberal bent than my parents-in-law. They would have political discussions, but the discussions always remained friendly.

One day my father-in-law made a comment about one of his goals being to be completely independent, both financially and otherwise, to not need to rely on anyone else. This couple was horrified. They couldn't imagine why someone would want to be independent. This was a concept that was so foreign to their world-view that it literally scared them. No doubt this fear was the realization that, in a world full of independent people, there would be no need for social workers.

This couple eventually stopped associating with my in-laws, most likely as a result of the clash in world views. Not that my in-laws seem to terribly miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment