Sunday, September 27, 2009

Good shooting

I found out this week that my source of information about the NRA marksmanship qualification for light rifle was outdated. The target that's meant to be used is actually the A-17 target, not the A-32 target. The A-17 target has a bullseye about half the diameter of the bull on the A-32 target. Those 80's I'd been shooting on the A-32 essentially translated into 40's on the A-17. It's comforting to know that this wasn't going to be as easy as I'd thought. And seeing that it's a good bit harder means that I'll have some hard work in front of me, and hard work is good for the soul.

So, given that, I started shooting using the A-17 target this weekend. Well, I'd been shooting using this target for a couple of months, but not for this marksmanship qualification thing, just for my own edification. Saturday morning's shooting wasn't too bad. Aiming to break 40, I shot 40, 52, 35 (ouch), 53, 60, and 55. It was nice to see that I could break 50, and I was ecstatic about the 60. Sunday morning was even better. Aiming for 50 and above, I shot 56, 64, 50, 50, 62, 82. I was pretty frigging ecstatic about the 82, especially as I had two 10's on my last bull. It give me hope that, once I can get the focus down, I'll be able to shoot 80's consistently.
I went to the range both mornings this weekend, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment