Sunday, November 8, 2009

Weekend shooting -- iron sights vs scope

I had a little extra time this morning, so I took along my scoped 10/22 (a 4X scope) to see how I could shoot with it vs. with iron sights. I'd previously commented on how I felt more comfortable with iron sights, but I hadn't really put it to a significant test before this morning. I shot the light rifle course twice on each.

I shot the scoped rifle first. I shot a few sighting rounds benchrest to zero the scope, but the first shots I fired offhand were for the record. My first target was a 79 -- about what I'd expected, thinking that I was going to be worse with a scope. I got better as I went, though, as I followed that up with an 83, an 89-1X and an 89-2X, for a 340-3x. The second course I shot scoped was an 81-1X, 85-2X, 90-2X and 90-1x, for a 346-6x. Certainly towards the top end of how I've been shooting lately.

Then I picked up old faithful, my iron-sighted 10/22. My first course was a 78, 91-1X, 80 and 83, for a 332-1X. The second course was a 82, 83-1X, 80-1X and 85, for a 330-2X.

So, this morning, I shot better with a scope than with iron sights. Even though this isn't enough data to say that I'm better with a scope than with iron sights, it's certainly enough to say that I can shoot at least as well with a scope. Perfectly logical, of course -- everything else is equal, I just need to adjust to a different sight picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment