Sunday, November 1, 2009

Weekend shooting

This weekend's shooting wasn't the most rewarding. Not horrible, but certainly not the best I've done recently.

Saturday morning I shot a 340-3X and a 338-5X. Certainly respectable, and better than I've been doing in real competition so far. Not to mention that that 5X is impressive, given that I didn't break 340. But the 5X also hints at how poorly I performed on the other 35 shots. (Actually 33 shots, 'cause I had 2 10's that weren't X's.) 8 of those 33 were 7's, and one was a 6, for a total of 77.5% in the black. Had I managed to get those 9 shots in the black, I would have scored a 348-5X and been spectacularly happy.

(And to be complete, I shot 7 7's on the 340, for an 82.5%.)

This morning's shooting was pretty abysmal, a 318 and a 335. I'd like to be able to blame it on the ammo (I'd forgotten to throw in another box of "good" ammo after yesterday's shooting, so I shot the first string using some "not-so-good" ammo that I happened to have with me), but I know the ammo wasn't the problem. In fact, I know exactly what word was in my head when I pulled the trigger on the shot I dropped -- "cluster". I wasn't focused, and my score shows it.

There's at least some good news from my visit to the club. The guy running our club's Light Rifle match had posted the running score sheet, and I appear to be at the head of the group of people ranked as Marksman. I'm in no danger of being pushed into Sharpshooter anytime soon with these scores (I'd need to be consistently shooting above 350), but it's nice to see I'm doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment