Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Watching the earth rotate

This morning, standing on the platform waiting for the train, I watched the earth rotate. The nearly-full moon was sitting on top of an electrical wire when I looked up and noticed it, and then I stood staring at it, watching the wire slowly creep up until it was bisecting the moon. The entire process took about 30 seconds or less.

(Okay, geek that I am, I need to give a better estimate of how long it took. The moon subtends an angle of about half a degree. It takes 12 hours to traverse 180 degrees (less than 12 hours at this time of year, but also less than 180 degrees. And anyway, that traversal rate is going to be constant, I think, so we can safely use those numbers. And if I'm wrong, it's close enough.) So that's four minutes to traverse one degree. I watched the wire go from touching to bisecting the moon, so that's a quarter of a degree, so about one minute. A little longer than I'd estimated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment