Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Why I'm writing this blog

The impetus for starting this blog was because I'd snapped. I'd had enough of my liberal friends on Facebook posting stupid health care reform memes. I wanted to add another voice to the chorus of people calling for reason in our government, calling for our elected officials to actually respect the oath they took to uphold the Constitution.

I also wanted to create another gun-centric (hoplocentric?) blog. This rational falls under my desire to promote responsible gun ownership, as much the ownership part as the responsible part. I wanted to be yet another perfectly normal person who owns guns. Even though this wasn't what I was thinking originally, I want to portray my participation in shooting competition as something every bit as normal as my neighbor's golfing or bowling.

I'm not quite the gun nut that, say, Caleb or Jay G. are. I would certainly tend that way, but I've got too much other stuff on my plate to really devote myself to it. I'd imagined that I would write more about guns, but maybe it's actually a good thing that I don't. Maybe just portraying myself as a normal person who happens to have guns as his hobby is good for the blogosphere. (Although I do have my own version of the how-do-you-know-you're-a-gun-nut joke: you find yourself maintaining perfect trigger discipline ... on that bottle of Windex.)

I'd also imagined myself being a bit more political, but I'm more interested in political philosophy than the day-to-day political sniping. So aside from the occasional post rehashing something that someone else has probably done a better job of expressing elsewhere, there hasn't been as much of that as I'd imagined.

What has surprised me, though, is that I've managed to keep this up for some 80-some posts now. I'd thought that I would surely peter out before now. Not that I won't eventually run out of things to say, but I haven't hit that wall yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment