Saturday, October 24, 2009

Morning shooting

This morning's shooting went very well. Actually, it went a little bit too well, 'cause I started getting cocky and stopped focusing so hard, and my later scores showed it.

My first few shots seemed effortless. I had a perfect sight picture, and I hit a string of 9's with a few 10's mixed in. My first target was an 89-1X, and my second target was a 91-1X. (The first time I've broken 90.) This is where I started getting cocky, 'cause my next two targets were an 84 and an 85. Still, my total was 349-2x, which is the best I've shot so far.

I didn't do quite as well on the second string -- 88, 85-1X, 88-1X, and 85-1X, for a total of 346-3X. Still, it's the second best I've shot so far, which demonstrates that I can be reasonably consistent. And it gives me reason to believe that I can be consistently shooting in the 350's in a few months.

I wonder if I need to start using better ammo. I've been shooting Armscor stuff, and I've been happy with it. But I did notice a couple of my "dropped" shots (6's and 7's) seemed to correspond to a crack that didn't sound quite the same as the others -- more a thump than a crack. It's possible the powder charge in those two wasn't quite up to snuff.

Oh, and my stats: 3/40 outside the black in the first string and 9/40 outside the black in the second. So I'm up to an 88.75% in-the-black hit rate (from an 82.5% last time.) Still shooting for 100%, but doing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment