Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Trains

I have to admit being a fan of commuting by train, although I need to qualify that. I live in New Jersey and work in New York, so the train is the least unpleasant of my options. (The most pleasant of my options would be to have a job where I could work from home and get the hell out of Jersey.)

A train commute offers some conveniences, like the ability to work on a laptop or read a book. But though I like the conveniences, you occasionally get days like today. Commuter trains tend to work reasonably well when they're on time, but things go go hell when there are problems. My scheduled 7:03 didn't arrive at the scheduled 7:03. Around 7:08, there was an announcement that that train was cancelled due to mechanical problems, although they were going to stop that train at my station to discharge its current passengers.

That meant my chances of making it on the 7:12 were close to zero. For the 7:28, they were 50% at best, which left me a 50% chance of getting to work around 9:30, having left the house before 7:00. I decided to bag it and work from home. Which only works because I have the freedom to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment