Tuesday, October 6, 2009

First competition

So I just got back from my first light rifle competition, which was my first real competition of any kind. My wife could tell I had fun by the smile on my face when I came home. It was something very similar to that new-shooter smile you see on people.

I certainly didn't shoot spectacularly, but I'm guessing it was a good first-time score. For four targets, I shot something like a 79/100, an 83, an 85, and an 86. No dropped shots, and a couple of 10's.

What probably had me most excited was the tips I received on stance before shooting. I could feel the difference the changes in my stance made. I'd also looked up the Appleseed-suggested six steps of firing a shot (based on a suggestion in a comment on one of my blog entries), and I was trying some of those steps, specifically the two trigger-centric steps.

Unfortunately, I was doing what you're not supposed to do, trying out new things in competition. But I think what gave me the big grin was seeing how well it had worked and looking forward to practicing these things come this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment