Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The power of bureaucrats

I spent Thanksgiving at my parents, during which time I got to see my brother and his family. Some fifteen years ago, my brother's wife started a day care center that she's been running since then. She's now essentially been forced to give it up because some petty little bureaucrat got a bug up her butt.

Apparently, a couple of years ago, the day care center was assigned a new bureaucrat from the county to do their evaluations. The first visit from said bureaucrat went swimmingly -- she was delighted with how the center was run. Unfortunately, her boss didn't like her findings and came back for another visit with said bureaucrat. Things didn't go well this time, and evaluations went poorly every time thereafter. The one time that my sister-in-law commented on how well the visit was going because the evaluator hadn't found anything wrong, the response was, "And I'm not leaving until I do."

So, finally, after a two-year campaign to shut down this day care center, the bureaucrat has won. And now all of those parents have to find other places for their children, and the employees have to find other jobs. You just gotta love the power that these people hold.

Fortunately, this was an isolated incident, and nobody need fear treatment like this once our new health care system has been put in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment