Friday, December 4, 2009

Mustang

I drove to West Virginia today to celebrate my uncle's 91st birthday. My wife and I have only one car (since I commute to work by train, and the train station is less than ten minutes by foot from our house), and I couldn't leave my wife without a car for two days, so I rented a car.

Instead of renting some generic small or mid-size car, I decided to rent a Mustang. I've never had the chance to drive an American muscle car for any extended period of time (five minutes once doesn't really count), so I figured I'd make use of this opportunity.

Thursday evening, I went to pick up the car. Did all the paperwork, got a parking spot number, and walked out to find it. It wasn't hard to find. It was the BRIGHT BLUE Mustang sitting there in the parking lot. Not some generic shade of gray, not black, not white, BRIGHT BLUE.

On the way out of the lot, the attendant commented on it. "Nice car. And nice color, too."

I got home and told me wife to go look at the car. "No, I'm cooking, and the kids are leaving me alone. I'll look at it later." "No, really, go look at it." So she went to the window and looked. The laugh that came out was a purely unintentional, caught-by-surprise laugh. The laugh came out of her before she even thought to make fun of me for it.

It's been getting a similar reaction from assorted family members of various degree here, too.

But you know what? It drives like any other Mustang out there, so I don't really care that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment