Friday, March 12, 2010

Pistol permits in

Woohoo! My two "permits to purchase" are in. I picked them up last night and will have a new gun within the week.

For those who live in reasonable states where purchasing a pistol can be a 15-minute affair if the person behind the counter isn't otherwise busy, this is how things work in New Jersey. If you want to purchase a handgun, you drop by the local police department, pick up the paperwork, fill it out, bring it back with the appropriate checks, hope you crossed all your t's and dotted all your i's, and wait. They actually do things quickly in my township, so I got my permits in only six weeks. (The law explicitly states that the permits must be issued within 30 days, but the courts gutted that requirement.) In less-friendly municipalities, permits might take six months.

Not for the last time do I wish I were still in Tennessee. Admittedly, being forced to wait on a handgun purchase is better for my wallet, but I'd be willing to take a chance on myself being fiscally responsible in exchange for regaining some basic rights.

5 comments:

  1. Congrazzies. :)

    I've never bought a gun outside Jersey, but our long waits for the "instant" check don't seem to be the norm, either. Between my fiancee and me, we've had the approval come back in fifteen minutes _once_, with every other purchase coming with a wait of one to four hours. There have been times when we had to wait because the one person running NICS checks for the state went out to lunch. And as for "fiscal responsibility", there have actually been times that I've bought an _extra_ gun, just so the pistol permit wouldn't go to waste when it was near expiring.

    Anyhow--any idea what you're getting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten into bullseye recently, so a couple of pistols for that. A S&W Model 41 for .22 and a Les Baer wadcutter 1911. The 1911 has been on order for a month, given that it'll be 3 months or so before it's ready, anyway.

    WRT NICS, I hope that they just get rid of the permitting system and go straight NICS. I know there's some talk of that, and I've heard that the state loses money on the background checks (of course, I don't have a link to hard data on this, so take that for what it's worth.) I can't find a submitted bill for that, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I've heard the same thing. The question is whether "holy crap, we need money" outweighs the "every restriction on guns saves a billion babies" principle. It sure would make our lives easier, and is a no-brainer for anybody who understands gun laws (seeing as how the required NICS check makes the whole permit process redundant).

    Very, very nice pistols. I'm not into bullseye shooting myself, but even I've heard people speak reverently about the model 41. Hope it arrives before your permits expire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6 Weeks? My township does it in four (he said it should take three, but it took four). Still four weeks too long. Nice guns.
    Got my two permits two weeks ago and expect my XD9 at my FFL next week. Second one will likely be a Ruger 22/45. I'll probably buy local - Cheyenne Mtn (Harry's).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend at the club had his application in before mine. (Different township, though.) Unfortunately, his mental health form wasn't on yellow paper, so he had to resubmit that. Of course, he only found this out a month later.

    ReplyDelete