Wednesday, March 3, 2010

McDonald

So, at long last, the oral arguments have been made in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago. I would post my analysis of the arguments here, but that's been pretty well covered elsewhere. (Some links here at Say Uncle. Not to mention the Volokh Conspiracy discussion here, here, here and here. And Randy Barnett's WSJ op-ed here.)

I had an invitation to attend the SAF's reception Tuesday night (no doubt as a result of donations, not because I'm otherwise a heavyweight Second Amendment advocate.) I would really like to have gone, but I couldn't justify taking the time off from work to do so. Not to mention that there were a number of other people who were far more deserving of being there.

So now we wait. As good as it looks for incorporation, I'm still not holding my breath. Even if we win, I fully expect to see some text in there weakening the Second Amendment. Sotomayor's question about "reasonable regulation" doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

No comments:

Post a Comment