Saturday, March 20, 2010

Buy a Gun Day

So I bought my gun for Buy a Gun Day today. Okay, so technically, today isn't Buy a Gun Day. But I live in New Jersey. My (two) pistol permits came in a week ago (after only six weeks.) My FFL ordered thw gun for me the day he got my check in the mail, it came in a couple of days ago, and I picked it up today. I can't just go out and buy a gun on a whim[1]. These thing have to be planned out.

And, of course, given that I did the transfer today, I wouldn't be able to go out and buy another gun on Buy a Gun Day, as that's less than 30 days from now, and New Jersey now has the one-gun-a-month law.

But on the bright side, this is a really sweet piece, a Smith and Wesson Model 41, a .22 target pistol. I brought it home, cleaned it, then took it out to the range to try it out. I don't know if the gun shoots much better than my other .22 (a Kimber), or if I just shoot much better with it. (Or if it's just the honeymoon phase.) But it seemed to shoot really well. The trigger is certainly better. The out-of-the-box trigger on my Kimber leaves a bit to be desired. The trigger on the S&W needs no work. I'll need to get used to it, though, as it's a bit lighter than I'm used to.

[1] Well, it's still possible to go out and buy a rifle or shotgun on a whim, but I'm not really in the market for either of those right now.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, know what you mean about planning it out. Picked up an XD on Friday, so I miss Buy A Gun day by a few days next month for my second pistolero. Looking for a 22LR, but the Model 41 is out of my budget league. Either a S&W 22A or Ruger 22/45.
    Enjoy your 41!

    ReplyDelete