Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Starting USRA shooting

My club's light rifle competition is on hiatus for a couple of months. We'll shoot four more matches in March to finish up. Luckily our USRA matches have started up, so I still have something to do on Tuesday nights.

As opposed to the light rifle competition, in which there's a single course of fire, we're shooting a number of different courses of fire for the USRA competition. I'm shooting the .22 National Match course -- 10 rounds slow fire, 10 rounds timed fire (two strings of five), and 10 rounds rapid fire (again two strings of five.)

Fortunately, I didn't have a set of envelopes waiting for me there when I showed up last night. (Even though we have scheduled times to shoot, we're free to shoot at any time, so we get all of our targets up front.) I say "fortunately" because it gave me the opportunity to shoot the course once as a freebie. My slow and timed fire scores weren't completely miserable for a first time for someone who's not been shooting pistol lately -- 77 and 84, respectively. My rapid fire shooting was a bit worse, though, a 57, which gave me a combined 218. I expect I'll improve with practice, much like I've done with light rifle.

No comments:

Post a Comment