Thursday, April 8, 2010

Scope

The guy at my club who runs out informal light rifle league recently bought a target scope that he wanted to check out. He's mostly an Anschutz-and-Leupold kind of guy, and he bought the scope mostly just to see what it was like. The nice thing about this scope is that is focuses down to 50 feet at high power. (Actually, he says it focuses down to 10 meters, but I shoot at 50 feet, so that's what I'm most interested in.) The scope I've been shooting is a 3-9x, but it loses focus at 50 feet beyond 7x, so that's what I've been shooting.

I've hit a plateau in my shooting, so I was thinking about getting a better scope. I mentioned to him that I was thinking of getting this model, so he offered to sell me the one he'd bought. I decided to take him up on his offer.

I put the scope on my 10/22 last week and took it out to zero it and try it out. He had it set at 20x, so I just left it there. You notice the movement a lot more at 20x than you do at 7x. At 7x, I thought I was holding the rifle steady when I had it on a sandbag, but at 20x, it looked like I had the shakes. Once I got it zeroed, I did manage to shoot a couple of perfect targets from the sandbag. (I mostly just wanted to shoot a couple of perfect targets. I hadn't the one time I tried it at 7x from the sandbag.)

Shooting off-hand takes a bit of getting used to. My first target was pretty sad, an 84. That's the worst I've shot on that target in a while. I got into the low 90's on the next target, but then I shot a 97 on my last one. None too shabby, and it certainly gives me hope that I can start shooting consistently at 370 or above.

No comments:

Post a Comment