Friday, October 23, 2009

Have they read the Constitution?

I ran across this today (h/t to Robb Allen):

CNSNews.com: “Madam Speaker, where specifically does the Constitution grant Congress the authority to enact an individual health insurance mandate?”

Pelosi: “Are you serious? Are you serious?”

CNSNews.com: “Yes, yes I am.”

Pelosi then shook her head before taking a question from another reporter.

Maybe she didn't want to answer the question because she couldn't. Which made me wonder if she's ever actually read the Constitution. Which made me wonder how many sitting senators or representatives have read it. I know that Steny Hoyer has been spouting the "general welfare" crap, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on his staff told him he needed at least some answer to the Constitution question. And, as James Madison indicated, that's not the correct answer.

I wonder if we need an entrance exam for the U.S. Congress to guarantee that the members understand the Constitution and the oath they're taking to uphold it.

No comments:

Post a Comment